Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Life Lesson from Africa #1

EVERY CHALLENGE IS AN OPPORTUNITY

In Africa, I’ve learned that every Challenge is an Opportunity. Let me give an example. To the dismay of all Americans who are native to the North West United States, lattes do not exist in Uganda. At best, you can get a poor quality cappuccino. However, they do have the actual espresso machines; they just don’t know how to use them! One day, we had guests in from the US and they were so desperate for an Iced Latte that I asked the “bartender” if he would allow me to make a “special drink” using just ice, milk and his espresso machine. He was happy to comply and even thrilled to learn how. It was at that moment that I realized that no lattes means a potential business. Since that day I have considering offering my expertise as a barista to the few large hotels in the city. By helping them expand their drink menu they can cater to the western crowds, which pretty much are the only people that can afford to stay there. The bartender I taught continues to serve patrons at that hotel the Iced Latte I taught him to make. Zero access to lattes is not a challenge, rather a great opportunity.

For another, more personal example; since we were a ways out of the city and with the language barrier, cultural and financial barriers, building close relationships can be difficult. So I spend more time alone in Africa than I would ever in the United States. But, I’ve learned that isolation just means more quality time with God. What could feel like a real challenge is just another opportunity. I have never had that much time to read my bible, listen to sermons or pray more than this season in Uganda and that is an opportunity that I may never get again.

No comments: