Monday, August 25, 2008

Always Practical

What is your favorite color? Everyone has a response to that question. I’m sure your response is rarely significant. However, I remember back in Junior High and even high school my response was always “Green” - which was a complete and total lie. The fact was I loved everything red! But, I wouldn’t say that because I always felt that red wasn’t a practical color. Furthermore, I sure wouldn’t think to buy something red – as much as a favored it. Black and White seemed much more practical for sheets, furniture, dishes, etc.

And even now, I see myself doing the same thing, but on a much larger scale of course. For example, I thought as much as I would really love to live downtown and have a truly urban lifestyle, I would never choose that because why pay twice as much money for half as much space, purely for appearance sake. And it didn’t matter how much I really wanted that experience in my life, I would ultimately never do it. But, as of this last month I finally thought, why not? Why automatically remove the impractical choice, without even a second thought?

I feel like I should psycho-analyze why I feel like I must always give a practical answer or make the practical choice. Fact is, I don’t know why and instead of spending time figuring out why, this year I am going to endeavor to choose what I want, even if it’s not the most practical choice. This doesn’t mean I won’t continue to make responsible decisions, but I think that a string of practical decisions may result in a successful life, but may not result in a happy one. Hopefully, I’ll have the boldness to test the theory.

No comments: