Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mr. and Mrs. Gecko - The 2nd Chapter

Many of you will remember my very first blog I ever wrote was about my friend Mr. Gecko. To recap, Mr. Gecko was the original tenant of my room in Uganda on the missionary field. When I moved in, we became roommates. I was indebted to Mr. Gecko for keeping our room clear of spiders and other creeping, crawly things, and therefore forgave him for failing to pick up his ”droppings” that he left scattered around the room. (Boys just don’t have the same sense of propriety as girls do!) And I figured that every roommate has their failings, it’s just a matter of choosing which ones you can live with! Nevertheless, I felt a certain amount of sadness, that he was unable to roam free with other geckos and a little concerned that maybe a measly spider here and there wasn’t enough food for the little guy. So one day, he was resting close to the door, so I help point him in the right direction; in other words, I shooed him out. I was sad to see him go, but felt all noble in doing the right thing. About an hour later, still reveling in my good work for the day, I saw another Gecko crossing the wall. I was horrified! This whole time I thought I was only living with Mr. Gecko, but the fact was that I was living with Mr. AND Mrs. Gecko! I had single-handedly split up a marriage. To makes matters worse, I began noticing a gecko on the outside of my screened windows. I imagined it was Mr. Gecko staring longingly in for his lost mate. As I am feeling guilty about the family I separated, I determined to help Mr. Gecko and Mrs. Gecko reunite. Then just last week I saw something that released me of this heavy burden. I watched as a gecko slid through a crack between the window pane, that from my angle didn’t look big enough for even a penny to slide through. However, this crack was big enough for Mr. and Mrs. Gecko to come and go as they please! Unbelievable! Here I had discovered Mr. and Mrs. Gecko’s personal front door entrance to our abode. Not only did I not split up Mr. and Mrs Gecko…… by the increase of “droppings” left around, I think they may be actually hosting parties in my room!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your heart rests assured that you didn't break up a marriage! Bet it feels good to know they've been happy enough to host parties... Hope you don't feel used! :)

I just love your stories so much! You're adorable Sarah!