Sunday, March 2, 2008

Health Update

Thank you everyone for your prayers!! Here is the update from doctors here in South Africa. First, the results of the Cat Scans, of my head and abdomen, came back negative for tumors!

However, I have been diagnosed with a genetic disorder called Metabolic Syndrome. This Syndrome is characterized by an under-active thyroid and insulin resistance. These problems not only cause high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure in the present, but diabetes and heart problems in the future. The most frustrating thing about all of this is that after seeing a dietitian, they said I'm already making all the right health decisions with diet choices and exercise! Nevertheless, diet and exercise continue to be key factors in stopping the progression of this disease. They think the reason it took so long to identify the problems is because my level of exercise in the States kept many symptoms at bay.

I am currently on four medications. The primary one is to help stop the progression of diabetes by helping my insulin process sugar. And another one is to bring my cholesterol levels down. I will come back to the United States in April for three weeks. There I will do a second round of tests to judge how my body is responding to the medication, as well as get a second opinion. I will return to Uganda to finish my planned time until July.

Continued Prayer Support for….

  • My hormone and insulin levels respond positively to medication
  • International Insurance reimburses me for my medical attention in South Africa
  • That the necessary diet restrictions will be easy to adapt to
  • That the progression of problems will reverse itself

One final thought; Right now, God willing, my plan is to return to Uganda in 2009 after working for six months in the States and saving money. There is great work to be done in Uganda! However, without access to regular exercise and appropriate diet, as well as a positive response to regular medication, this will not be possible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh,
Sarah I am glad to hear you are well and I wish I could fly into to Oregon and see when you return but I can't so I will continue to lift you up in prayer. Salud!

Wenona