Monday, December 24, 2007

Let it Snow; Let it Snow; Let it Snow

No streets lined with light, Christmas trees or decorations, no eggnog latte’s. or chilly weather. Does it sound like Christmas? No. And it doesn’t feel like it either. Here in Uganda, driving in the car listening to “Let it Snow”, “Jingle Bells”, “Frosty the Snowman” and here we are in the middle of summer – living in a pleasant temperature of 90 degrees every day. We were talking about how nice a white Christmas would be! Well, we almost got our wish..........


No, it didn’t snow in Africa, but we did have an attack of lake flies. Millions of little flies about the size of a fruit fly converged on our living quarters. And strangely enough, under the glare of our porch lights and the beam of our flashlights, as we dashed to the dining hall, you had the impression that it was snowing outside! Unfortunately, the moment didn’t last long. You were soon completely distracted, trying to avoid gulping down these bugs!

Fact is, it feels like I’m missing the Christmas experience this year; the houses wrapped in lights, the smells of pine and cinnamon, the appearance of Starbucks holiday cups, movies about Santa Claus and the holidays of dysfunctional families. I even miss the bustle of people in the malls and I’ve never been one of those crazy Christmas fanatics. I get annoyed when I hear Christmas music too early and I really don’t enjoy eggnog or pumpkin pie that much. In humorous moments, I’m a self-proclaimed Grinch. But, today, I’ve realized I’m not and actually I’m far from it. And though, I have always enjoyed candlelight services, the excuse to throw a good party, and I especially like buying that “perfect” gift for my friends and family; I’m quite sure that beginning in Christmas 2008, I am going to appreciate this season so much more; and maybe even get a little fanatical about it (though don’t get your hopes up that far!). As for Christmas 2007, I am going to enjoy the stocking hanging on my wall (sent from home).

No comments: