Thursday, December 27, 2007

Merry Christmas: Poop is Raining from the Ceiling

As explained in my last blog, since Christmas in Africa can’t ever truly “feel” like Christmas, why not make it as different as possible. And we succeeded, Christmas 2007 will not be lost in our memories. You know what I’m talking about…. when in the tradition of not breaking tradition, ten years of Christmas holidays all blur together into one general trend of triviality. From Kampala, Uganda, we took a 45 minute drive to Lake Victoria (largest lake in Africa and source of the Nile) and took a wooden boat on the 75 minute ride to Bussi Island. Our mission? To show the Love of God to 165 orphans, or in other words, take on the Santa Claus occupation. Out on a beautiful lake on a gorgeous sunny day, reaching almost 95 degrees, seems like a lavish holiday to those digging there cars out of piles of snow and ice all around the States. The name of the Orphanage that we visited was called Ossanide. It is ironically pronounced “Oh Sunny Day”, but is actually translated into English as “He Is Worthy.”

What a joy it is to bring Christmas to orphans. We came laden with boxes of toys – dolls, airplanes, cars, jump ropes, shirts, kitchen play sets, and doctor play sets. And come prepared to bring the entire Christmas experience to the kids, including hot chocolate, popcorn and Christmas movies. How many people have made 200 cups of hot chocolate over an open fire? Well, I have. And I doubt that many others have found themselves in the same company. Please pardon this expression, but I felt like a witch from fairy tales, bent over her magical pot of potions, with my big ladle, open fire, and black kettle. I brought 40 liters of “Long Life” milk (the brand that doesn’t need to be chilled) and plenty of sugar and coco powder and we mixed and boiled it in two batches over an open fire. We found out later that the orphanage had never had milk before. The “house moms” kept wanting to dilute it down with water to make it last longer. But, not for Christmas, we said! The popcorn, also cooked over the open fire, turned out a little burnt and a little unsanitary, once the “house mom” and kids had finished cooking it and putting it into bags. We also came armed with my DVD Player and Projector, as well as a video screen and gasoline for the generator. Then hooked it into their ancient sound system and the kids all gathered around to watch Polar Express and The Nativity. Many fell asleep in their chairs and on the cement floors, but, a faithful few (around 50) lasted all the way to the end of the night at 1am. Even I started feeling like it was little bit like Christmas sitting there watching Santa on the screen with my hot chocolate in hand!

But, to be truly honest, this is a story of which the telling of is much more fun than the living of. We had to sweep out and kill at least 20 spiders from our little hut/room. Those were only the ones near the floor, we didn’t even want to disturb the one’s above our heads. I brought my bags and shoes into my bed with me, tucked in my mosquito net tightly into my mattress, and slept fully clothed and with my shoes on, praying that I wouldn’t be attacked by something in the middle of the night and that morning would come soon. Then, I woke up, and cocked my head as I focused in on the “poo droppings” resting on top my mosquito net. (I was reminded of the episode from The Office when the bat gets in and Angela screams Poop is raining from the ceiling. Poop!) Turns out that, that scratching I heard all night above me was the bat the lives in that particular hut. I was happy to not go to bed with that knowledge; then my dreams all night which were full of creepy-crawling things, would have included creepy-flying things as well. And like I said, the telling of this adventure is more fun then the living of it, since my ideal Christmas doesn’t usually include peeing out behind a tree on Christmas morning. In my journeys here in Africa, I have discovered that I can stand almost any “third-world” setting…….but, please just give me a toilet! So, after barely a few hours of sleep, we got up to deliver Santa’s gifts. It doesn’t matter how you organize, the simple fact that you are giving gifts to 165 kids and to be honest combined with the fact that we are in Africa and disorganization is a way of life, chaos took over for about an hour. But, to see how much fun they had, was worth it. This is the only toy that these kids will get this entire year and I made a mindful decision not to ask, if they had ever gotten a gift on Christmas before. I didn’t think I would be able to take the answer. It’s not really until looking back on my pictures that I can see the true joy, we got to be a part of on Christmas day. It won’t matter how many years pass, the simplicity of this Christmas holiday will not be forgotten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! Aside from the spiders/bat part - the telling of it was wonderful though :)

Lil Wife said...

Our Church also went over to Ossanide Island and had a great time. In one of your pictures from inside the boat you will see a wind generator (windmill). we installed that one and since then installed a second one closer to the water. Great to see your pictures, brings back good memories.