Wednesday, December 5, 2007

When did poverty become a virtue?

When did poverty cover a multiple of sins and prosperity become without any virtue?

We, as Americans, and maybe even more so, as Christians, we live with a guilt for our prosperity, for our success. We grow up hearing, "there are starving children in Africa, finish all your food!" Four years after high school and 30 pounds later, I realized that, that voice speaking to my conscience was helping no one, least of all me!

The other countries and cultures constantly reinforce that feeling. As if I, not finishing my mashed potatoes, would solve the problems of poverty in Africa, let alone feed one child.

Please, don't get me wrong. There is a principle here, everything in moderation. The availability of resources does not forgive gluttony or excess. We should recognize our abundance and be grateful for it.

And Americans are grateful. They are the most generous people on earth. And here are stats to prove it. Research done on charitable giving around the world reveal that in the United States' is the ONLY nation's whose charitable giving is the equivalent to OVER 1% of its GDP (Gross Domestic Product). The United Kingdom is in second place with 0.73% of its GDP going to charitable giving. France and Sweden, who enjoy an even higher GDP fall to the bottom of charitable giving in developed countries. They are out given by countries like South Africa. I am proud to live in a philanthropic generation. And I believe, why not strive for 2% or higher?

I am currently living in Uganda for 9 months, working to establish an orphanage and medical clinic as well as, establishing a Christian Aids Education Outreach to high schools. It's a big vision that requires a lot of great people who give out of their God-given abundance. And as a result of this endeavor, I am constantly amazed at the sacrificial generosity of Christian people. Ultimately, one day, my own vision is to make enough money that no one has to fund my own philanthropic work. I can come back to Africa or wherever the need is; and fund it myself. When I return from my time in Africa, will you judge my efforts to increase my wealth? Will you know my motives? Do you judge the hearts of many of those around whom God blesses?

Strive. Move forward. Win. Succeed. These are not sinful words. Yes, excess and abuse of abundance sadly occurs even among Christians, yet is it not just another extreme to be poor for poor-sake? When did poverty become a virtue? The fact is, in an effort to "relate" with the down-trodden, we may very well remove our ability to create change. I see the faces of Africa daily, and I wish I had the money to meet every need. If we, as Christians, all become poor, who would benefit? I choose to be faithful with little, that God may trust me with much. But, to whom much is given, much is required. Instead of settling for little, I choose to decide to meet the requirement.

No comments: