Friday, December 21, 2007

Rafting Down the Nile

I never would have thought that I would be on the Nile twice in 12 months time. Last December (2006), I was in Egypt riding down The Nile on a Falucca. We spent three days and two nights wrapped in sleeping bags on top of these ancient sailing boats, sleeping under the open skies (and actually freezing to death in the night desert wind).

This December (2007), I find myself in a totally different place on The Nile and a totally different experience. Since The Nile finds its source from Lake Victoria in Uganda, this end of The Nile is fast and violent. Unlike the slow, meanderings of The Nile in Egypt, this trip was in a raft, holding on for dear life in the midst of Class Five rapids. And since this close to the equator in Uganda the temperature rarely drops below 80 degrees Fahrenheit, getting tossed into the river is an inviting thought. At the beginning of the six hour rafting trip, Josh, our guide (a world wanderer from Canada) explains we will get tossed from the raft during this wild and adventurous trip and therefore we must practice being overturn in calm water and how to hold on to the raft in such occurrences. The three other guys, on our raft were from the States as well and had just finished studying abroad in Kenya. They had gone already the day before and had been over-turned three times the day and were quite excited about the prospect of being thrown around a second day in a row. These two factors made me question what kind of risk I had put myself into. If Class Six rapids will kill you, what will Class Five rapids do? Only maim you? And for those thrill-seekers, who are worried that the rapids may well kill them, why not go bungee jumping first! And, finally, if the bungee-jumping and the rapids don’t kill you, then the crocodiles will. Yep, I laughed when our guide told us to stay in the boat during a 30 minute portion of our rowing because there was a 15ft croc living in this portion of the river, but it turns out he wasn’t joking.The fact is, for all this preparation and intimidation, the day was amazing; exotic scenery, beautiful weather, and eight exciting white-water rapid experiences. I never felt nervous or fearful once we got going. Maybe I am a true adventure seeker, but more than likely it’s because I grew up in the water. I’d prefer to be in the water than the boat and I feel very comfortable in it. And just in case, two very talented, kayakers went ahead of us, in case any of got thrown, they could rescue us and bring us back to the raft. They also send a kayaker down ahead of you with a video camera to tape your triumphant journey through these rapids, or your tumultuous excursion, which ever may find you. So for $45, I am able to relive my white-water experience for years to come. J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell me... tell me you didn't bungee jump?!? ;) - TJW